Search This Blog

Sunday, April 8, 2018

The Evacuation From E-Bay Commences and A Hard Won Sales Result for March

Well, E-bay must have caught on to my plans, because this March was undoubtedly the most difficult and anxiety ridden month I have had for a long time. Almost overnight, my sales on E-bay dropped to a trickle, even though I was continuing to list new material and nothing had changed in my customer base. I decided to test a few of my theories about E-bay hiding my listings again, just to make sure that I was not paranoid.

What I did was I went to incognito mode in Chrome and went to E-bay from there and searched for my items without logging in. While I did not see any evidence at that moment of my listings being hidden, I did notice that the appearance of my listings was different that what I was seeing when I am logged into E-bay. For one thing, when I was not logged in, I could not see my user name or feedback rating on any of my listings. It would show that I was a top rated seller, but other than that, if you were a buyer searching on E-bay, you wouldn't know one seller's listings from another until you click on it. That was a new thing that just came into effect, as I don't recall seeing it before. That might explain why a very large chunk of my E-bay sales for March came from new customers.

It was nerve wracking to see the magnitude of the slowdown. It was very noticeable, and felt almost as if the powers that be at E-bay had flipped a switch and just stopped showing my listings. Fortunately, I had enough offline sales from my established customers that we still did just over $4,500 in sales - not as good as last March, when we sold the Canada #2, but as good otherwise.

This was a remarkable month in other ways. Most importantly, it was the month when I began to execute my plan in earnest, to finally get out from under E-bay's death grip once and for all. It started with me designing and printing a brochure for all my customers, which clearly explained the benefits of shopping on my new website, as opposed to E-bay. I coupled that with a letter that I carefully crafted, which would go out to all my customers, explaining my decision to leave E-bay, and to explain the benefits of the new website. Here is a copy of it:






I am pretty proud of this. It took me several afternoons of writing, and rewriting to come up with copy that I was happy with. But in the end, I was extremely pleased with the result. Vistaprint had a 50% off sale that week, so when I was done, I was able to print 1,000 of these, and 1,000 new business cards for less than $400.

I realized though that as good as the brochure looked, I needed a way to gauge how many of my customers are actually going to come to my website, or at least express the intention of doing so. But how could I entice them to actually reach out and call, or send an e-mail? I thought about it long and hard, and finally it hit me: I need to offer them a real incentive. I thought about the standard 10% off your first order that a lot of places give. Then I thought, nah, this is not enough of an incentive to convince people to act - no I need something more compelling. Why not give them most of the savings that would come from not paying final value fees to E-bay? Beat E-bay at their own game. So I decided to offer any customer who registers with me before July 31, 2018, an extra 5% discount on any order they place FOREVER.

I received the completed brochures in the middle of March and began mailing them out in stages the following week. So far the response has not been high, but it has not been bad for a direct mail campaign. Response rates for all forms of marketing are usually low anyway, and it is still early yet. I have only mailed about 1/4 of all the brochures, and I still have four months to get the rest out, and additional letters to customers reminding them of the extra discount, and the time limit for claiming it. This way, if the response rate is really poor, or there are other indicators that leaving e-bay will not be feasible, I can always abort the decision. But, I do not think that is likely, as a lot of my customers are now repeat buyers, and even through a large number of them do not engage me, they keep coming back. Not only that, but a larger and larger number of my customers are becoming repeat buyers, as compared to before.

Toward the end of the month, I turned my attention to two other pursuits. The first was getting material organized to sell on consignment to raise cash flow for the tight months ahead. I fully expect my sales on E-bay to continue dropping over the next few months, so I need to have an alternate source of cash flow to tide us over until the B&B gets busy, which it will in the next few months. So, I began gathering together the non-Canadian material that I have on hand, that I know I will likely never get around to listing in my store, and I began to organize it for sale. I have engaged three different auctioneers to handle the material. This allows me to establish three separate cash flow streams, and it allows me to match the quality of the material to the auctioneer who will get the best results for us.

The second pursuit was to start seriously working on the website and getting it ready to go live. I already had some 7,000 listings in the inventory module from before, but now I went and imported all the listings that I had produced since the last import into the website, and began editing these listings, to get them complete, so that the website features would work properly. This turned out to be way more work than I thought. So, after a full 18 hour day of doing these edits, I finally came to the conclusion that I would need to hire some help.

This problem kept me awake for several nights as I realized that the work that needed to be done was going to take at least 6 weeks of someone's time, and that there was no way I was going to be able to afford to hire anybody local to help me. This conclusion did not sink in right away, mind you. I spent many hours looking at every government placement incentive and workforce expansion program initiative available to small businesses, and there was really nothing suitable for what I am trying to do, which is a large volume of very boring, tedious and relatively low level work done over the next few months.

So, finally, after much agonizing, I remembered the site Fiverr, where you can hire foreign based freelancers to do graphic design, programming, writing, web design and other work. Usually the rates are much more reasonable for the work involved. So, I went on there and posted a job description and had no fewer than 9 responses. I requested quotes, evaluated them and chose one of them to assist me with the website edits.

I also began sharing my blog content this month with the various stamp groups on Facebook, and have seen my blog traffic more than triple, compared to what I was getting before. Each new post that I put out there creates more awareness of my brand, and I am confident that it will eventually lead to the blog becoming a source of new customers. I have already had a few this month, and I also had my first customer engage me to provide an opinion about a stamp. It was a fellow living in the Netherlands, and he sent me a Lagos stamp, seeking my opinion on it, after reading an article in my Nigerian stamp blog.

So, I am scared to death, but at the same time I am hopeful and optimistic for the future. One of the most notable things I have experienced since starting to execute this decision is that I am more relaxed, despite the stress. The reason is that I am back in control, and I am following my own path, and not giving some faceless, unaccountable public company complete control over my future.

Onward and forward!

10 comments:

  1. You still doing any per diem accounting work for that firm you worked for the last couple of years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. My attention has to be focused on my business, and nothing else.

      Delete
  2. Great post Chris. I have been agonizing over how to start selling stamps myself and get overwhelmed with the options and just where to start. I have my own domain and pointed out to a store on Hip Stamp but not getting any hits. I thought about making my own store site but it got confusing with the tax and shipping options. In the end I am thinking about just putting up listings for buy it now and auctions on eBay but after reading this, I'm having second thoughts. I'm going to check out your site. I've been to your eBay store a few times and have been happy with your service. I wish all the best for you and I'm sure it will work out. You're putting in the work and the rewar is sure to come in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan

      Thanks very much for your feedback and for tagging my post on FB. Unfortunately there is no quick and easy way to sell stamps for a decent price. E-bay is really a game of 3 card Monte that as a seller you can't win, no matter what you do. If you sell casually on E-bay, you will never become aware of what really goes on there. They get away with it all because of their size and their user agreement. But I will no longer allow myself to be used and abused by them, which is why I am leaving. If this plan works, I actually plan to start another blog to educate sellers on the realities of selling online and how to achieve long-term success doing so.

      If you are just thinking of selling a few items here and there, then Buy it Now on E-bay will work somewhat, as E-bay will not limit your exposure, since they want to suck you in to becoming a full time seller on there. But, you have to be aware that unless you are practically giving your stamps away, it will take a while to sell them using BIN. Auctions are a complete waste of time. If you start them at a penny, most will sell for a penny, or 5-10% of catalogue at the most.

      Does this mean I can sign you up as a VIP customer? As the brochure says, it gives you enhanced discounts for life and costs absolutely nothing, as long as you register by July 31, 2018.

      Delete
  3. Hi Chris, Yes, please sign me up as a VIP customer. I am currently specializing in early Canadian, Revenue, Bill, Provincial and specifically Newfoundland stamps. I received my 2017 catalogue directly from Erling Van Dam nd use Unitrade to reference the rest of Canada. I do collect worldwide with an emphasis on Germany, German States, Great Britain and Commonwealth as well but am trying to limit myself to before 1940. I also have an extensive US collection including airmail, Revenue, private die and US possessions, foreign offices etc. Needless to say I have many items from all these categories I would like to buy and sell. I'm thinking that the only way to set it up is to have my own store site but I would not have the exposure that E-bay has for a customer base. One thought was to create a site and only have premium items listed in the store and then use E-bay for junk stamps (faulty, off-center, common used) starting at a penny and possibly get a following. The only danger is that customers might think that is all you have and dismiss you as a junk dealer, never seeing your quality inventory. Using a different name and ID would prevent that assumption but then you would not gain a following as a stamp dealer either.
    I was speaking with Sergio Sismondo at the last stamp show I attended in Chicago and he said he uses Delcampe. Have you had any experience with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan

      Consider yourself a VIP customer!

      I have received some lovely consignments of Newfoundland, which I may not get around to listing for a while, as well as one of the most extensive Nigeria collections in the world. I also just received a fantastic, nearly complete mint Canada collection to 1960. So if you send a want list, I am sure I can help you.

      I may be able to help you, as I take material on consignment. My fee is 25% of the proceeds. I either list the stamps in my store with the same care and attention as you see in my listings. For foreign material that lies outside my area of expertise, I am starting to combine mumtiple small consignments that may be too small for the larger auction houses into consigments that are large enough for them to handle. This makes a great deal of sense where you have some really nice material in the $100-$1,000 range, but you only have a few items.

      Drop me an e-mail at: brixtonchrome@ hotmail.com and we can discuss how I can help you, both with sales and your want lists.

      I was on Delcampe for 2 years and I maybe sold $200 in that time. I feel that it depends on what you are selling. I think Europe would do well. But Canada, not so much.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete