Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

My Son is All Grown Up! Well Almost....

My son came over on Monday to start his job with me. He has been coming at 11 am because he has never been an early riser and has always been a night owl. So in that respect, he still has a bit of growing to do, but what has really impressed me so far is that he has come at the same time each day, when he said he would, and he has been keen to learn the job and to learn how to do it well.

I had him sorting out the rest of my mint Canada stock to get it ready to list when the time comes. It took him a little while to get the hang of it, but after a couple of hours he had developed his own system for sorting and he asked good questions.What was really interesting to me was that several times he commented that the skills I was asking him to use, he had never had to learn before - like looking things up alphabetically in a book. Children of his generation have grown up with search engines like Google. So they have never had to learn to look things up physically in books, or had to order information alphabetically.

He hasn't been nearly as bored with this as I thought he would be and he actually seems interested to finally understand what his old man has been interested in for so long. It has been really nice working alongside him these past two days and I am looking forward to working with him over the next two months!


4 comments:

  1. He is like 20'ish years old. And you are impressed that he shows up to WORK for ~5 consecutive days, at a time of his choosing??

    Should be a given, shouldn't it?

    As you know, in the real world, you show up when you are told, especially in an entry level position. That is the expectation - it is not going above and beyond.

    I am happy for him and you that he is doing what has to be done, but I can't say it is impressive.

    Sorry for being negative - just stating my feelings.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would you write a comment like this? Do you have any kids of your own?

      Delete
  2. Just stating my opinion - again; sorry it is negative.

    Yes I have 2 kids in their 20's. Both have full time jobs + part time jobs as well. We celebrate when they obtain employment (or a better job or promotion) because it is tough for kids these days. All I am saying is that we don't celebrate or prop them up just for showing up at work. As stated, showing up at work, specially at 11am, is not special, IMO. Am I missing something?

    You are welcome to have a differing view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you are missing quite a lot actually. I'm not going to write about it here. This blog is about my journey to become an entrepreneur. I'm writing so that people who want to become self employed can see the process that is involved and at the same time I can share some things that I think might be useful to some.

    The point of this post was to tell those parents with kids in their late teens/early 20's who are struggling with becoming responsible adults not to lose hope because their kids will figure it out eventually if they model good behavior for their kids.

    If your kids have turned out great without these struggles, then good for you.

    ReplyDelete