Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2015

An Unusual Friday, Veal Saltimbocca and the Numeral Issue is Finished!

Today has been a bit of an unusual day. At my old firm they hold tax law update videos toward the end of each month. This month's video was scheduled for this morning, so I decided to attend, as I still have to keep my education up to date if I wish to retain by CPA designation.

I made the drive up to North York for 8:30, saw the video, said "hi" to many of my former co-workers and met with my former accounting partner Allen to discuss how things were going. I got back at home at 11:30.

I have spent almost all day today writing my blog article for my Canadian Philately Blog. Today I was writing about the 1898-1902 Numeral Issue that I just  finished listing last night. I must say that I am very proud of what I have written. If you are so curious, the link to this article is below:

http://canadianphilately.blogspot.ca/

I can also post images of the last values from this set: the 8c, 10c and 20c:





I am particularly proud of this last stamp. Only 540,000 20c stamps were issued on December 24, 1900 and very few of these have survived in such pristine condition. I am asking $1,500 US for the one shown above. 

Last night I decided to try my hand at veal Saltimbocca. I served this dish with a simple gnocci that I served with a rose tomato sauce. It turned out to be a good compliment to the very tasty and salty Saltimbocca: 

1 veal cutlet per person that you are serving.
2 prosciutto slices per veal cutlet
3. fresh sage leaves
4. 1/2 cup of white flour
5. 1 tablespoon of oil
6. 1/2 cup of medium sweet sherry. The recipe called for white wine, but I felt the sweetness of the sherry goes well with the saltiness of the prosciutto. 

This is a very simple dish, but one that will surely impress your guests!

Start by placing the veal cutlets between two layers of cling wrap. Use a rolling pin or a meat hammer to pound the cutlets to 1/2 an inch thick. When this is done, lay some sage leaves on one side of the cutlet - just 1 or 2 and then place a slice of prosciutto over the sage. Repeat with the other side of each cutlet and then lightly flour the cutlets. Heat the oil in a skillet and when it reaches a high temperature, fast fry the veal 2 minutes on each side. Then add the sherry to the pan and deglaze for 1 minute. Then serve with your choice of side, preferably something with not too much salt. 

Enjoy, and have a happy weekend everyone!








1 comment: